This is the perfect soup on a cold day. As someone who tries to save on the grocery bill every month, I try to take advantage of the vegetables and fruits that are cheaper because they are in season. Now is great time to find broccoli and carrots for a low price. Remember: when possible buy local!
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups half-and-half cream (or 2 cups half & half/ 2 cups whole milk)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cups carrot, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated mild cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces grated Monterrey jack cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook melted butter, onion powder, and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
- Add the vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- Add grated cheese, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with your favorite bread or a crisp salad.