Strawberries are in season here in the Ohio River Valley, and this past week the kids and I went strawberry picking. This recipe makes the most moist, delicious pound cake with a classic crunchy top, and it is the perfect accompaniment to fresh strawberries. Enjoy!
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract OR 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter together.
- To the creamed sugar, add one egg at a time.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add vanilla and lemon (or almond) extracts to the egg mixture.
- Begin to add Greek yogurt and dry ingredients alternating between the two, until fully incorporated.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch bread pans. Evenly fill pans with batter.
- Bake at for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and place on cookie sheet until cool, then loosen and transfer to a platter to serve.