- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 drops lemon essential oil (GRAS)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour + more for kneading
- 3 eggs
- Jelly of your choice for filling
- Powdered Sugar
Mix water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand 10 minutes. Melt butter and add to yeast mixture. Beat in eggs and add lemon essential oil. In a large bowl mix together the flour and salt. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture and begin to mix; turn out onto a clean surface and knead by hand until a soft dough forms. Let rise 1 1/2 hours. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick and cut circles (approximately 3 inches). Let circles rise 1/2 hour till puffy.
Deep fry at 400° F about 3 minutes, turning once. Pipe in jelly and dust with powdered sugar.